Google+ VLSI QnA: Digital Design Interview Questions - v1.1

Sunday 20 April 2014

Digital Design Interview Questions - v1.1

Q.1) Implement OR and NOR using 2-to-1 multiplexer.

Answer) OR gate:
               Multiplexer equation: Y = I1.(S) + I0.not(S)
                                 I1 => '1' ; I0 => 'B' ; S => 'A'
                                                Y = 1.(A) + B.not(A)      
              Upon simplifying above equation, Y = A + B
               
                 











                NOR gate:
                Multiplexer equation: Y = I1.(S) + I0.not(S)
                                 I1 => '0' ; I0 => 'not(B)' ; S => 'A'
                                                Y = 0.(A) + not(B).not(A)      
                Upon simplifying above equation, Y = not(A+B)

                                           NOR gate using multiplexer

Q.2) Implement EX-OR and EX-NOR gates using 2-to-1 multiplexer.

Answer) EX-OR gate:
               Multiplexer equation: Y = I1.(S) + I0.not(S)
                                 I1 => 'not(B)' ; I0 => 'B' ; S => 'A'
                                                Y = not(B).(A) + B.not(A)  
    
                                         XOR gate using multiplexer
               
               EX-NOR gate:
               Multiplexer equation: Y = I1.(S) + I0.not(S)
                                 I1 => 'B' ; I0 => 'not(B)' ; S => 'A'
                                                Y = B.(A) + not(B).not(A)  

                                        XNOR gate using multiplexer

Q.3) Implement latch using 2-to-1 multiplexer.

Answer) Multiplexer equation: Y = I1.(S) + I0.not(S)
                                 I1 => 'D' ; I0 => 'Q' ; S => 'En'
                                                Y = D.(En) + Q.not(En)

Latch using multiplexer

Q.4) Implement D flip-flop using 2-to-1 multiplexer.

Answer) In the below implementation of flip flop, two muxes are used. The flip flop shown below is a negedge D flip flop.

D flip flop using multiplexer

Q.5) Implement T flip-flip using 2-to-1 multiplexer.

Answer) T flip-flop using D flip-flop :

T flip flop using multiplexer


No comments:

Post a Comment